Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Having spent the last two weeks studying and becoming more aware of type, perusing through books has become an entirely new experience. Looking at the opening pages of novels, I now notice not only the words, but the way they are arranged.  I did some exploring, looking specifically at opening pages and the first page, and explored what made some stand out from the rest.

After focusing so much on asymmetry in our classes, I couldn't help but notice that the majority of novels take an extremely symmetrical approach. Most of the first pages looked fairly similar to these, the major differences being in the chapter number. 


I did however find a few examples of very unique treatment of text, such as in this book: 



As far as title pages, the trend towards symmetry continued, with most novels center-aligning all the information. To me the most interesting were those that were visually different. 



No comments:

Post a Comment