Saturday, January 26, 2013

Expressive Typography

Last week in class, as an introduction to our project, we began looking at expressive typography.
While we see expressive typography all the time these days in commercials and advertisements, I was impressed by the simple and intelligent way Chermayeff and Geismar were able to manipulate words to show their meaning more clearly in their book, Watching Words Move


I went in search of more examples on-line and came across these that I particularly liked:


I think this is a good example of a simple but effective was to visually portray a word. Just by altering the letter 'A' slightly, the designer was able to add an additional layer to the viewer's understanding of the word. I am drawn to the simplicity and how changing one small element can make such an impact. 


The introduction to Watching Words Move mentioned a few early examples of expressive typography, among which was A.A. Milne's Winnie the Pooh. While I was unable to find many good images of his original 1926 book, this particular page I think shows some expressive type in the simple way that the elongation of the text highlights the height of the tree. 


I also came across Saul Steinberg, whose work I had never seen before. I thought this image showed type with a lot of expression. The artist is able to send his message so clearly, that behind all the man's fancy talk, the real underlying subliminal message he is sending is no. 


I particularly like the way this set of posters uses movement of type to express the flow of the jazz music it advertises. I think it makes the text connect better on an additional level to the meaning of the posters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment